My name is Anne Thistleton (BEd; MREd; MCouns; Grad Dip. Nut Med (Mental Health); Cert EF & TTh; Cert SP & SW; CIME) aka The Baby Calmer.
The Baby Calmer, offers a unique, in-home counselling service (based in Brisbane, Australia) that provides therapeutically nurturing, family centred support, practical guidance, emotion focussed approaches, and gentle and effective solutions, to parents who are experiencing the stress, exhaustion and frustration associated with a continuously crying baby, a sleepless baby, or a tantrum toddler.
As well as working with parents and their children in the home, I also provide an Individual, Family and Relationships Counselling Service - Anne Thistleton Counselling - which specialises in Emotional Release Counselling, Sandplay Therapy and Symbolwork for children (aged 18mths - 17 years) and adults.
My counselling practice focuses on supporting clients who present with symptoms related to post-natal depression, birth trauma, marital stress, family conflict, grief and loss issues, challenging and misunderstood behaviours in young children and adolescents, ADD/ADHD, and school/workplace bullying and harassment.
I hold a Bachelor of Education (with a specialisation in Early Childhood Education), a Master of Education, and a Master of Counselling, along with a Graduate Diploma of Nutritional Medicine - Mental Health. I have also completed formally recognised post-graduate study and training in the areas of Emotion Focused and Transpersonal Therapy, and Sandplay Therapy & Symbolwork.
I am a qualified Mediator, Certified Infant Massage Educator and registered 'Circle of Security' Parenting Educator.
I have a passionate professional interest in the area of Pre & Perinatal Psychology, in particular, the impact of birth trauma on infant and early years development. I am currently engaged in a three year post-graduate study and training program in this area, through Emerson Training (California, USA), under the tutelage of Dr William Emerson (pioneer and world renowned expert in the field of Pre & Perinatal Psychology and Birth Trauma).
I am also currently enrolled in the three year Somatic Experiencing practitioner training program. I am currently an advanced level trainee.
I have recently commenced training in a Craniosacral Therapy training program.
I find that clients benefit from the incorporation of nutritional medicine for mental health in my work, especially in relation to its usefulness in supporting mental health and sleep issues. Similarly, the use of therapeutic grade essential oils is also a welcomed addition in my work. I am currently completing a course of study that will qualify me as a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist.
My professional philosophies and approaches to supporting and guiding parents are very much based on sound research, as well as current insights into infant and early years development. A strong focus is placed on supporting, fostering and preserving attachment and the emotional bond between parents and their children. As such, clients can be assured that I never
endorse the use of any forms of controlled crying or other ignoring strategies in my work.My Professional Framework is Centred on these Key Counselling / Parenting Therapies, Theories and Approaches:
- Attachment Theory and Approaches
- Psychodynamic Theory and Approaches
- Aware Parenting Approaches
- Family Centred Approaches
- Client Centred Approaches
- Somatic Experiencing
- Clinical Brith Trauma Therapy
- Bonding Therapy
- Sandplay Therapy and Symbolwork
- Emotion-Focused and Transpersonal Therapy
- Interactive Drawing Therapy
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Nutritional Medicine for Mental Health
- Clinical Aromatherapy
- Grad Dip. Nutritional Medicine (Mental Health) - Health Schools Australia 2015
- Grad Cert. Emotion Focused & Transpersonal Therapy - Expressive Therapies Institute of Australia 2008
- Grad Cert. Sandplay Therapy and Symbolwork - Expressive Therapies Institute of Australia 2008
- Master of Counselling - Australian Catholic University 2007
- Master of Religious Education - Australian Catholic University 2003
- Bachelor of Education - Australian Catholic University 1999
Current Post-Graduate Study and Professional Trainings:
- Somatic Experiencing Practitioner Training - Somatic Experiencing, Australia ... completion anticipated March 2017.
- Clinical Birth Trauma Therapy Training - Emerson Training, USA ... completion anticipated end 2016.
- Certified Clinical Aromatherapy Training - ISHA, USA ... completion anticipated end 2016.
- Craniosacral Practitioner Training - Craniosacral Institute, Australia ... completion May 2017.
- Pre and Perintal Psychology Educator Certification - APPPAH, USA ... completion anticipated June 2017.
Current Professional Registrations:
- Registered Teacher in Queensland - Registration Number 786574 since 2000
- Bringing Baby Home Certified Educator - The Gottman Institute 2014
- Level 1: Bridging the Couple Chasm - Gottman Couples Therapy: A New Research-Based Approach (A Workshop for Clinicians) - The Gottman Institute 2012
- Registered "Circle of Security" Parenting Educator - Circle of Security USA 2010
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor - Qualified with Infant Massage Australia 2010
- Certified Happiest Baby Educator - 2008
- Certified Dunstan Baby Language Educator 2008
The Baby Calmer's Professional Memberships:
- Provisional Member of the Queensland Counsellor's Association
- Professional Member of Attachment Parenting International
- Member of the Australian Association for Infant Mental Health
- Member of the Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health
- Member of Infant Massage Australia
The Baby Calmer's Professional Acknowledgements:
- 2010 Nominated in the Telstra Business Women's Awards
The Baby Calmer's Other Professional Registrations:
- BLUECARD - Registration Number 416347/4
The Baby Calmer's Professional Development Dairy:
As a professional service provider, I am committed to continuing to - update my practice with new information and research findings, improve and broaden my knowledge and skills, and develop my professional qualities. This enables me to deepen, expand and refresh the approaches I use to best support my clients. My most recent professional development has encompassed the following facilitated learning opportunities:
- Somatic Experiencing (6 Day Intermediate Level II Training, Brisbane: Linda Stelte, Somatic Experiencing, USA)
- Clinical Aromatherapy (3 Day Certification Level IV, Brisbane: ISHA, USA)
- Craniosacral Therapy (4 Day Certification Level 4, Adelaide: Craniosacral Institute Australia)
- Craniosacral Therapy (4 Day Certification Level I, Sydney: Craniosacral Institute Australia)
- Somatic Experiencing (6 Day Beginner Level II Training, Brisbane: Maggie Kline, Somatic Experiencing, USA)
- Somatic Experiencing (6 Day Intermediate Level I Training, Brisbane: Linda Stelte, Somatic Experiencing, USA)
- Clinical Aromatherapy (3 Day Certification Level III, Brisbane: ISHA, USA)
- Aware Parenting Instructor Mentoring Course (9 Month Mentoring Program, Australia: Level II Instructor, Australia: Aware Parenting Institute, USA)
- Somatic Experiencing (6 Day Beginner Level I Training, Brisbane: Maggie Kline, Somatic Experiencing, USA)
- Trauma Through A Child's Eyes (5 Day Professional Training, Byron Bay: Maggie Kline, USA)
- Clinical Aromatherapy (6 Day Certification Level I and II, Brisbane: ISHA, USA)
- Bringing Baby Home (2 Day Educator Certification Training, Sydney: The Gottman Institute, USA)
- Raindrop Technique (3 Day Practitioner Training, Brisbane: Raindrop Australia)
- The Neurobiology of Trauma - What is Happening in the Brain of Someone with Unresolved Trauma (Lecture: Ruth Lanius PhD, NICABM, USA)
- The Power of EMDR to Treat Trauma: Identifying, Reprocessing, and Integrating Traumatic Memories (Lecture: Francine Shapiro PhD, NICABM, USA)
- Beyond the Brain: How the Vagal System Holds the Secret to Treating Trauma (Lecture: Stephen Porges PhD, NICABM, USA)
- Building the Body's Resources: Why Focusing on the Present Moment Can Help Us Heal Trauma (Lecture: Pat Ogden PhD, NICABM, USA)
- How Expanding Our Perspective on Trauma Can Improve Diagnoses, Increase Effectiveness, and Lead to New Treatment Strategies (Lecture: Bessel van der Kolk MD, NICABM, USA)
- Creating Safety in Practice: How the Right Tools Can Speed Healing and Reduce Symptoms for Even the Most Traumatised Clients (Lecture: Peter Levine PhD, NICABM, USA)
- Birth Story Listening / Birth Story Medicine (20 hour Professional Training: Birthing From Within, USA)
- Bonding Therapy (Practitioner Training: Dr Tony Madrid PhD, USA)
- HUG Your Baby (Educator Certification: HUG Your Baby, USA)
- The Neurobiology of Mindfulness: How Being Present Can Change the Brain (Lecture: Dr Dan Siegal, NICABM, USA)
- Getting to the Root of Trauma: Why It's Critical to Understand the Role of Memory in Trauma Therapy (Lecture: Peter Levine PhD, NICABM, USA)
- How to Help Patients Rewire a Traumatised Brain - Applying the Latest Strategies to Speed Healing and Reduce Symptoms for Even the Most Traumatised Clients (Lecture: Bessel van der Kolk MD, NICABM, USA)
- Beyond the Brain: Using Polyvagal Theory to Help Patients 'Reset' the Nervous System After Trauma (Lecture: Stephen Porges PhD, NICABM, USA)
- Why a Body-Oriented Approach is Key for Treating Traumatised Patients (and what it looks like in practice) (Lecture: Pat Ogden PhD, NICABM, USA)
- The Neurobiology of Trauma Treatment: How Brain Science Can Lead to More Targeted Interventions for Patients Healing from Trauma (Lecture: Dr Dan Siegal, NICABM, USA)
- Soothe the Fear of a Traumatised Brain: How a New Intervention is Changing Trauma Treatment (Lecture: Sebern Fisher MA, NICABM, USA)
- Sally Denning - A Step in the Right Direction: How Dance Movement Therapy Strategies Can Assist Children to Heal from Trauma (Australian Childhood Foundation)
- Dr Ed Tronick - Stress, Resilience and Infant Mental Health: Understanding the Lifespan Implications of Social-Emotional Development and Self-Regulatory Processes in Normal and Compromised Children.
- Drs John and Julie Gottman - Level 1: Bridging the Couple Chasm - Gottman Couples Therapy: A New Research-Based Approach (A Workshop for Clinicians) - The Gottman Institute.
- Dr James McKenna - Mother Infant Attachment in Evolutionary and Cultural Perspecive
- Dr James McKenna - What is the Relationship Between Bed Sharing and Feeding Method?
- Dr James McKenna - Sleeping with Baby: Biological No-brainer or Prosecutable Offense?
- Dr David Bercelli - Trauma Releasing Exercises: Workshop
- Babette Rothschild - The Body Remembers: Practical Therapeutic Applications of the Neurobiology of Trauma.
- Richmond Heath - Trauma Releasing Exercises: Level One Practitioner Training
- Dr David Bercelli - Trauma Releasing Exercises: Workshop
- Dr Dan Siegal - A seminar with Dr Dan Seigal: Beyond Survival
- Dr Brigid Jordan - Play, Words, the Infant's Representational World and Infant Parent Psychotherapy.
- Dr Sarah Mares - Conversations between Infant and Parent.
- Dr Brigid Jordan - When Psyche and Soma Collide: The Impact of Neonatal Illness on Infant Emotional Development and the Infant Parent Relationship.
- Dr Peter Schmidt - Specialist Paediatrics/Neonatology
- Frances Salo - What the Baby Brings and how the Therapist Responds, in Triadic and Group Interventions.
- Dr Bruce Perry - Transforming Childhood Trauma: Connecting with Empathy and Compassion.
- Dr. David Lake and Steve Wells - Emotional Freedom Workshop - Applying Energy Techniques to Solve some of Life's Toughest Challenges.
- Dr Steve Harvey - The Power of Play: Dynamic Play-based Assessment and Intervention Approaches.
- Dr Andriano Cattaneo - Growth Monitoring: Does it Help Identify Growth Problems?
- Dr Bryan Vartabedian - Colic Solved: Reflux and the Crying Baby.
- Dr Lane Strathearn - It’s More Than Milk: Attachment, Oxytocin and the Maternal Brain.
- Nina Berry - “It’s All Formula to Me:” Mother’s Understandings of Toddler Milk Advertising.
- Dr Andriano Cattaneo - From Good Policies to Good Practices: Strategies and Interventions that Work.
- Dr Bryan Vartebedian - Allergies: The Other Reflux.
- Dr Mark Westaway - Environmental Medicine & Confessions of a Medical Detective.
- Dr Allan Schore - The Neurobiology of Childhood Trauma and Attachment.
- Dr Stephen Matthey - "The Alarm Distress Baby Scale (ADBB): An Introduction and Applications. The m-ADBB is an observational checklist of infant behaviour during routine physical examinations, which assesses the infant's social behaviour, and thus screens for infant social withdrawal.
- Dr Denis Spangler - Development and Prevention of Allergies in the Newborn.
- Amy Spangler - Keeping it Simple: What Mothers Need to Know About Breastfeeding.
- Barb Glare - 1800 Mum 2 Mum: The ABA Helpline: Who's Calling and Why?
- Dr Michael Abou Dakn - Mastitis and Abscess: Perspectives on Diagnosis and Treatment.
- Dr Michael Abou Dakn - The Role of the Father During Birth and Breastfeeding.
- Dr Donna Geddes - Suck Swallow Breathe.
- Dr Aletha Solter - How Children Heal from Stress and Trauma.
- Dr Aletha Solter - Discipline Without Punishment or Rewards.